Working from life and painting with oils

My color palette consists of seven colors (including black and white). The colors from the top left corner and going clockwise are: titanium white, ultramarine blue, ivory black (or mars black), alizarin crimson, cadmium red, yellow ocher, and cadmium yellow light. I have two yellows and two reds. Yellow ochre is used when I mix flesh tones, while cadmium yellow is usually used for greens and light yellows. Alizarin crimson is cooler than cadmium red. I will mix either cadmium red or aliziran crimson depending on the lighting. For example, while painting a human face the light can make the flesh tones very warmer (use cadmium red) or cooler (use alizarin crimson). I mix blues and blacks with my yellows to get my green colors.




I don't need to have yellow ocher on my palette because I can just mix that color, but it makes much easier to have ready to go. I use yellow ocher in many flesh tones. To mix browns such as burnt sienna and burnt umber I mix different amounts of cadmium yellow, alizarin crimson, and ultramarine blue.



Value is color. In other words yellow already has a value with it.





I painted with my Grandma back in April. She wanted to paint the way I do, so she payed me for some lessons. We painted my brother, Andrew. It was great that he was willing to pose for us.


Above is the end result. My painting is the one on the right and her's is the one on the left. She has worked on her painting since and it looks a lot better. I was emotionally done with my painting after this day. I looked at it more as a sketch and not an official painting.





Above is a picture of when I painted with my friend and mentor Mitch Baird in West Linn, Oregon. He has a brilliant website at: http://www.mitchbaird.com/. I have learned so much from him. The above picture was a head painting session that took three or four hours. We painted my friend Jennifer. She was so awesome about it! She posed for free. My painting is the one on the left and Mitch's is the one on the right. This piece I was working on seeing the main shapes and then add detail later.


No comments:

Post a Comment